Call for Course Instructors
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Monday, January 22nd, 2018 at 9 a.m.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: Families to College is a community-based program in Bridgeton, NJ. The mission of Families to College is to cultivate family bonds and improve academic and employment success in Cumberland County through a comprehensive whole-family mentoring program.
Families engage in goal setting and participate in fun and educational workshops and activities. High school students in the program have after school access to the Campus Center where they can receive academic support and enrichment, participate in STEAM courses and activities, learn about the college experience, and gain college and career exposure.
POSITION SUMMARY: Seeking compassionate, motivated individuals to teach a ten-week course to high school students on the following topics: Media Arts, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Contemporary Literature, Health Professions, and Business Leadership. Courses should engage the students in the specific content while also making interdisciplinary connections and developing real world skills. Courses should include fun, project-based learning experiences. Instructors should enjoy working with youth and be passionate about sharing their knowledge.
COURSE SCHEDULE: Courses are held at the Families to College Campus Center in downtown Bridgeton. Courses meet once a week from 4:30pm to 6:00pm. The quarter begins the week of January 29 and runs through the week of March 26. Courses meet on the following days:
Media Arts – Monday
Computer Science – Monday
Environmental Science – Tuesday
Contemporary Literature – Tuesday
Health Professions – Wednesday
Business Leadership – Wednesday
- Create a fun, safe learning environment that encourages personal growth and critical thinking
- Develop and execute engaging, hands on lesson for each 90-minute class
- Plan and work towards a culminating product
- Promote collaboration and communication
- Work with the Program Director to ensure that the course is meeting program objectives and supporting student goals
- Assist the Program Director with the planning and completion of the following requirements for each course: two guest speakers, one field trip, one public event, and two family events
- Professional and/or collegiate experience in the subject you are applying to teach
- Passionate about working with youth and helping them achieve their goals
- Experience working with youth and/or teaching experience preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional, flexible, and enthusiastic
- Ability to travel to Bridgeton, NJ once a week on the designated course day and time
- Ability to pass a background check
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move 25 lbs. and to individually perform computer related duties, as needed
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) a plus
EDUCATION LEVEL: Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related discipline
COMPENSATION AND SUPPORT: Instructors will receive a $600 stipend for the ten week course. Families to College will provide administrative and curricular support as well as basic and necessary supplies for the course.
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- A sample lesson plan for the course you are interested in teaching
Families to College is a community program for Appel Farm Arts & Music Center. Appel Farm Arts & Music Center is an equal opportunity employer and hires without discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, atypical cellular blood trait, liability for service in the armed forces in the United States, or mental or physical disability subject only to conditions and limitations applicable alike to all persons.